Author Topic: Rae claims 'robocalls' contributed to Liberal candidates' defeat  (Read 970 times)

jj

• Sovereign
stuffing a ballot box

Interim Liberal Leader Bob Rae claims reports of "robocalls" and voter suppression tactics contributed to the defeat of Liberal candidates in at least 27 ridings during the last federal election.

These tactics were the equivalent of "stuffing a ballot box," Rae said at a news conference in the riding of Toronto-Danforth on Saturday.

I wonder just what the Tories will have to do to get Canadians fighting mad at them? Apparently about the only thing that can get a rise out of us is them wanting to peek at our email. Fixing elections doesn't seem to get very many worked up.

haggis2

• Sovereign
Re: Rae claims 'robocalls' contributed to Liberal candidates' defeat
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »
Wait until tomorrow.  ;)

Welcome back GE :-)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:12:25 PM by haggis2 »

jj

• Sovereign
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
Wait until tomorrow.  ;)

Can you share your info?

haggis2

• Sovereign
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
It's not "my" info jj.  It's all there in the news.  Liberals want to call an emergency meeting tomorrow.  The issue is that an attempt to suppress voting in Canada happens to be illegal.  Some party,  attempted to do so,  all across Canada. A pattern has been established and somebody needs to be held accountable.  This is not being ignored by Canadians.  Ridings affected will eventually hold new elections. (If democracy still exists in Canada.

McGuire can answer any other questions for you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:24:23 PM by haggis2 »

GreyEyes

• Administrator
  • Sovereign
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
Thanks haggis.

You know, I agree with JJ here...Canadians seem to forgive everything Harper and the boys do for some reason. Maybe there's something in the water. Or the air. Or both.

jj

• Sovereign
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
It's not "my" info jj.  It's all there in the news.  Liberals want to call an emergency meeting tomorrow.  The issue is that an attempt to suppress voting in Canada happens to be illegal.  Some party,  attempted to do so,  all across Canada. A pattern has been established and somebody needs to be held accountable.  This is not being ignored by Canadians.  Ridings affected will eventually hold new elections. (If democracy still exists in Canada.

McGuire can answer any other questions for you.

My bet is that in the end some poor young Tory staffers will take the fall, at the most. Also it may be arranged for the Party to take a hit with no actual human held accountable. I would love to see a real, legal consequence here but I won't hold my breath. In any event the populace just does not seem to give a rats ass. A few political types and that's about it. Mind you these things can have a cumulative effect and one day Canadians may wake up and say, you know, this is a bad lot these Conservatives. I long for that day but with the mess the opposition is in it probably won't matter anyway until the Liberals get their act together.

mr. mom

• Sovereign
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
Thanks haggis.

You know, I agree with JJ here...Canadians seem to forgive everything Harper and the boys do for some reason. Maybe there's something in the water. Or the air. Or both.

Two things, 1 this is what we expect of politicians, we all say they are crooks and liars, the tories are merely proving it. And 2 there are no viable options, the opposition parties are in chaos and leaderless and to top it all off Harpo has a majority.
  Sad truth is that most people are struggling to get by, worrying about what gov is up to takes a sideline to survival.
I'll be treated as I deserve, not as my father deserved, I'm Kilrain, and I damn all gentleman

Sergeant Kilrain( movie Gettysburg)

Social Democrat

• Sovereign
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »
Tory friend from Ontario messaged me on facebook and was disgusted by this.  Even more disgusted was his reaction to Rae since the Liberals did very similar tactics in the last Ontario provincial election.
Vacuous - Adjective - 1) Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless: "a vacuous smile". 2) Empty. 3) Justin Trudeau.

jj

• Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
Tory friend from Ontario messaged me on facebook and was disgusted by this.  Even more disgusted was his reaction to Rae since the Liberals did very similar tactics in the last Ontario provincial election.

hahaha! although this wasn't a comedy thread you have managed to add a little. Good one SD.

Social Democrat

• Sovereign
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »

hahaha! although this wasn't a comedy thread you have managed to add a little. Good one SD.

Harrassing phone calls, push polling, etc.  

ETA: Certainly not even close to the degree that the Conservatives have done.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:38:55 PM by Social Democrat »
Vacuous - Adjective - 1) Having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless: "a vacuous smile". 2) Empty. 3) Justin Trudeau.

Krazy Canuck

• Sovereign
  • Life isnít Right, Wrong or Fair, Life just is...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »
I received harassing calls from both the Liberals and the NDP the last federal election.  :bagg
Imagine, someone thinking I'd vote for either of them,.......sheesh I told them to eff off and hung up.  ^-^

KC
"Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure."...Robert Lefevre

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell -

Social Democrat

• Sovereign
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21:55 AM »
I received harassing calls from both the Liberals and the NDP the last federal election.  :bagg
Imagine, someone thinking I'd vote for either of them,.......sheesh I told them to eff off and hung up.  ^-^

KC

I doubt that beside your name on the voters list it says "extreme right-wing nut"  :-*  How would they know?   ;)

haggis2

• Sovereign
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
Thanks haggis.

Two things, 1 this is what we expect of politicians, we all say they are crooks and liars, the tories are merely proving it. And 2 there are no viable options, the opposition parties are in chaos and leaderless and to top it all off Harpo has a majority.
  Sad truth is that most people are struggling to get by, worrying about what gov is up to takes a sideline to survival.

Sad thing is that those people will take the time to watch a hockey game or some brain numbing program on TV but cannot make the effort to watch what their government is up to.  It only takes a few minutes each day to keep up with major news stories. 

If this suppression of votes is condoned by the PM then we have a new precedent set here in Canada.  Hopefully there are some Conservatives out there with a conscience.  The Government is either pro democracy or not.  KC if anyone from any party told you that your polling station had moved then you should report that.

jj

• Sovereign
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:56 AM »
KC & McQuire must be so proud of their team

This is a pretty good list of how The Conservatives have brought more accountability and transparency to government.

haggis2

• Sovereign
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
lol,  you beat me to it jj!  I'd like to see the complete list though.